Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA) Celebrated the 26th Anime Expo with More Concerts and Premiere Events than Ever Before!
Los Angeles explodes with Anime Expo! Developed by The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA), presented its 26th event this past weekend at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
This year Anime Expo added its first Pre-Show Night which had 8,068 unique attendance. I must say that back in 2009, when I first attended Anime Expo, I recommended to the producers to have a preview night. This will encourage hype by promoting the edge needed for a large opening day and looked what Anime Expo has done now! As a result, the regular unique event attendance was 107,658, marking a 7% increase from last year. Overall unique attendance for Anime Expo reached 115,726 including Pre-Show Night, marking a 15% increase of attendance from 2016. Overall turnstile attendance was marked at 357,178 with Pre-Show Night, representing a 17% growth increase from last year.
The Exhibit Hall featured a total of 450 booths, which covered 137,600 sq ft, a 14% increase from 2016. Although most of the attendees knew the action was not on the floor but in the lobby and around the convention where cosplayers can really mingle, take photos, and promote their costume handiwork! More than 150 guests, performers, voice actors, and creators were on-site to mingle with attendees and provide special performances, sneak peaks and premieres.
With the expansion into JW Marriott, as well as the addition of Pre-Show Night, AX 2017 featured 800+ hours of programming, a 12% increase from 2016. Additionally, Anime Expo live streamed its 30+ hours of Petree Hall content for the first time reaching 340,000+ views from 67 countries.
Overall, Anime Expo delivered yet another exciting year and breaking more ground with the promotion of Japanese culture, Animation, Cosplay, and geekdom. Walking around the convention grounds provided us with the breathtaking third-person perspective that the culture has been growing but has expnaded into not just Anime-enthusiast but those willing to learn more about all things nerdy, geeky, and socially akward! Some would say this is a place for the socially akward. I would say its a place to be oneself.
- The return of Anisong World Matsuri, featuring ten acts over the course of two days.
- Neon District, AX’s inaugural EDM concert, which featured ☆Taku Takahashi, R3LL, banvox, Ram Rider, TeddyLoid, Pa’s Lam System, Massive New Krew, YUC’e, and Slushii.
- World Premieres: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Prologue, Infini-T Force, Welcome to the Ballroom, Violet Evergarden, The Ancient Magus Bride, and the Tokyo Ghoul live-action movie.
- US Premieres: BraveStorm, The irregular at magic high school The Movie: The Girl Who Summons the Stars and Lupin the Third – Italian Game.
- Dub Premieres: Anohana, Digimon Adventure tri.: Confession, and Food Wars!